Pages

Wednesday 18 July 2012

Quirks and perks:

This is the first chance I've had to sit down and write a post since we got the keys to our new flat on Monday.  The weather is awful here today, which isn't great for moving stuff across to the new place.  I'm currently waiting for the torrential rain to stop so that I can go out and get something to eat...

We spent Monday evening moving some of the bigger items in, including my bookcase, which I love, but which is also the bane of my existence.  It doesn't come apart, and I've had to carry it Chuckle Brothers style (with the help of friends and parents, of course) all over Dundee, and now Edinburgh.  Still, we didn't have to carry it too far this time, and managed it between the two of us.  (To me, to you.)


Craig having a wee rest...

While Craig set to work building an IKEA coffee table that he fell in love with and fought tooth and nail to get a hold of in the sale (and, it turns out, is monstrously big, and will not fit in the living room...), I took some pictures of some of the more 'quirky' features that the flat has.  As you will see, there are quite a few.


'Hmm...'


This cute original fireplace is in the smaller of the two bedrooms, and would probably benefit from some flowers or candles for decoration.  (Or skulls and race cars, if I am not allowed my own way.)

There is a sink/vanity area in the bigger of the two bedrooms, which is a nice idea, in theory.  In reality, there is a lot of beige/cream going on here.  I mean, an awful lot.  I've already started looking into getting easy peel, removable wallpaper or vinyl to put in the centre panel of each cupboard door, to break up the beige without leaving any permanent marks or damage.
I was coming to terms with the ugliness of this electric fire in the living room, when Craig  noticed that the fire itself isn't actually attached to the fireplace.  We hid the fire in a cupboard last night, and although a little bare, the space looks heaps better already.  Again, I will probably put some flowers and candles and other decorative items in there to give us something to look at.  I like the tiles on the hearth a lot, and I love that we have a mantelpiece to display things on now!
Finally, some good old cornicing in the living room.  Most of the places I lived in Dundee had cornicing, and it is my favourite kind of period feature.  This stuff looks like it could probably do with a lick of paint, but it isn't really our place to do that in a rented property.


I spent the whole day yesterday cleaning the new flat and moving things across.  Craig helped me when he got back from work (he can lift a lot more at once than I can!) and then took me out for a pub tea because neither of us could face the idea of cooking.  We moved yet more stuff after tea, and spent a little while unpacking books and DVDs and setting up new appliances.  We now have a posh coffee maker, which was a gift from a friend, but I'm not sure I'll ever figure out how to use it...

Our new mattress and bargain sofa also both arrived yesterday.  The sofa needs some serious TLC, but hopefully it will be a complete transformation when it's finished.  It is very comfy, regardless, which I think is the most important thing, and it's enormous!  Five people could easily cosy up on it, if they had to!

I must have worked hard yesterday, because last night I was more tired (and grumpy) than I've been in a very, very long time.  My muscles are killing me today, so at least I got a good work out.  Today will be spent moving everything else (bar the absolute essentials) across to the new flat.  Wish me luck!  I think I'm going to need it...

1 comment:

  1. I love that little fireplace, and the vanity in the bedroom is such a quirky feature! I can't wait to see what you do! :)
    S xx

    ReplyDelete